13 June 2012

My Black Thumbs' Favorite Green Plants

I have the worst luck growing things and so when something goes really well, then I am super excited.  My top 3 favorites are:

ROSES


As big as my palm
JASMINE

Goes all the way to the back

Planted under the rock
  1. THE ROSE:  A lot of people say the rose is a hassle to grow but in my garden they are a dream come true.  I hardly do any work on them and in appreciation they give me a beautiful show of flowers, twice a year.  Of course they do seem to be bothered by all of the garden pest, specifically the aphid, but I just spray and kill the little buggers and it is almost therapeutic.  Each rose bush also seems to have their own little disease going on, like they communicate with each other in who has the worst "cold", one might have powdery mildew while another has rust or black spot.  This problem is quickly solved by just cutting off the damaged areas and a little extra rose feed.
  2. THE JASMINE:  Love the smell of my jasmine bush in the back yard and you know what?  I haven't done a thing with it!  The fact that it has survived still amazes me, I mean I don't even water the poor plant.  It's in my backyard between 2 big rocks planted in this little space that had some dirt in it, and it is absolutely huge, climbing up the rocks to the back fence.  I would suggest anyone with a far away place that doesn't get any tender loving care this is the plant to put in, just bring out a chair and sit near it when the flowers come.
  3. THE BOUGAINVILLEA:  Rhonda bought me this plant 2 years ago and I bought another one shortly after, I really think it should be called Lazarus because I kill it each winter and it comes back to life.  This last winter I hesitated bringing it inside because it had it's flowers on and it was January.  Then that big storm hit and when the snow finally melted I brought it in, thinking I had killed it for sure.  Let me tell you the Aloe Vera - didn't make it.  But low and behold to my surprise the bougainvillea has sprouted its leaves and flowers are soon to come.

No comments: